I always have two or three novels on my computer as work-in-progress. At the moment I have three. That’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s a ploy that works for me. When I feel a story is starting to go stale I put it aside and pick up one of the others. When that next one starts to go stale… well, you get the picture. By the time I get back to the first story again I’ve had time to work out what’s needed to make the manuscript fresh.
Going back to an older manuscript also forces me to read it again from the start to ensure I’m up-to-date with the plot. That’s as good as an additional edit and I’ve always believed the more edits the better.
Today I stretched the limits a bit farther. I’ve asked for return of rights on a series off four murder mystery stories originally published by a small press in the USA. I have the idea of rewriting them specifically for the UK market. The original contracts have run to a conclusion and I figure it won’t take too much effort to re-write the novels. As I already have three work-in-progress manuscripts I will be upping the number to seven. I’m giving myself a lot of leeway over which to work on in future!